Installing Avast Security on your Mac is a great way to secure your personal data and settings from several online threats. But, generally, it takes a lot of space on your hard drive. Coupled with a slow scanning speed and annoying alerts, it gives all the more reason to uninstall it from your Mac. However, uninstalling it can be a headache, as these antivirus programs are so deeply integrated into your system, that even after you have uninstalled it, traces tend to remain in the system. Or, it might also happen that you are unable to uninstall it at all. If you are facing such issues on your Mac when Avast won’t uninstall completely, then don’t worry. In this article, we will show you the exact steps necessary to remove Avast entirely from your Mac.
Initial Preparations Before The Uninstallation Process
First, you need to quit the Avast app from the Dock. Then, open Activity Monitor from the Applications/ Utility Folder. Now, you need to quit the associated processes running in the background. To do that, in the Activity Monitor, select the processes named Avast Security, and click on Quit to end the process.
Now, you are all set to remove Avast from Mac.
How To Uninstall Avast On Mac?
You need to log in to your Mac as an administrator to successfully complete the uninstallation process. After you have signed in with administrator privileges and quit the process as mentioned before, follow the steps given below to remove Avast completely from Mac.
Method 1: Uninstall Avast Using Drag To Delete
- Open Finder and click on Applications from the left panel.
- Select the Avast icon and drag it with your mouse to the Trash.
- If you see any prompt, enter your account password to complete the removal process.
Alternately, you can also right click on the Avast icon and select Move to Trash. Or, you can select the Avast app, go to File and click on Move to Trash.
The app should ideally be removed instantly and appear in the Trash. If the drag to delete option doesn’t work, reboot your Mac and try the process again. Or, you may try to uninstall it by following the process mentioned below.
Method 2: Uninstall Avast Using The Built-In Uninstaller
If you have kept the installation package of Avast on your Mac, you can try to uninstall it by using its built-in uninstaller.
- Double click on the Avast Security installation file (.dmg) to open it in Finder.
- Launch the Uninstall Avast app.
- Now, click on Open in the pop-up dialog box that appears.
- Click on Uninstall, check the installed apps, and click on the Continue button.
- Enter your account password if prompted and after the uninstallation process is over, click on Quit to close the uninstallation wizard.
Method 3: Uninstall Avast From The App Itself
If you haven’t kept the installation package of Avast on your Mac, you can try the following steps:
Launch Avast Security, select Avast Mac Security at the top, and click on Uninstall Avast. Now, follow the instructions to execute the process.
Remove Avast Residuals From The System
If you have followed the above methods properly, then you have successfully removed Avast from Mac. However, many of its invalid files still remain scattered in the system, and you need to follow the given steps to remove the associated leftovers:
- Open Finder, click on Go from the menu bar and select Go to Folder from the list. Then, type /Library in the box, and click Go.
- In the search box, type Avast, and click on Library from the search bar.
- Now, right-click on the matched items, and select Move to Trash.
- Repeat the steps to delete any component in the Library folder.
Next, you need to empty the Trash to remove Avast completely from your Mac.
Empty The Trash
To remove Avast permanently from your Mac, you need to empty the Trash. The process of emptying Trash is irreversible, and anything deleted from Trash will be removed permanently from the system. Thus, take extra caution while deleting Trash, and make sure nothing important gets deleted mistakenly.
To delete Trash, right-click on the Trash icon in the Dock. Select Empty Trash and click OK in the pop-up dialog.
Alternately, you can go to Finder and select Empty Trash from there.
In case Trash is not emptied, you can restore an item from there by simply right-clicking on it, and selecting Put Back.
These are some of the easiest methods to remove Avast completely from Mac. Hope, after following these methods, you can successfully uninstall the software without much hassle.